Browse by Categories
  Home
  Towns / Villages
  Accommodation
  Arts / Crafts
  Attractions
  Business Directory
  Classifieds
  Education
  Employment
  Entertainment
  Festivals
  Genealogy
  Heritage
  Industry
  Leisure Activities
  Links
  Maps
  News
  Photo Gallery
  Political
  Property
  Restaurants
  Shopping
  Sporting
  Tourism
  Travel
  Weather
  What’s on
Oranmore Castle Oranmore County Galway Ireland
Home Advertise Contact Us

Accommodation  ~ Hotels  ~ B&B  ~ Self Catering  ~ Hostels  ~ Restaurants 
Property  ~  Business Listings  ~  Attractions  ~  Activities  ~  Maps
 
Oranmore Castle  -   Oranmore
         
 
Oranmore Castle was built sometime round the fifteenth century possibly on the site of an older castle. It was a stronghold of the Clanricardes who were a prominent Norman family of Galway.
 
In 1641 Galway was under the overlordship of the Marquess and fifth Earl Clanricarde. In March 1642 the town revolted and joined the Confederates with the Fort (St Augustin's) still holding out.

Oranmore Castle Oranmore County Galway Ireland

 
Clanricarde placed a strong garrison in Orannmore Castle, from which he provisioned the Fort of Galway from the sea until 1643 when Captain Willoughby Governor of Galway surrendered both fort and castle without the Marquess's consent. In 1651 the castle surrendered to the Parliamentary forces.
 
All the Marquess's property was of course forfeited but his successor, the 6th Earl, got back most of it including the castle. In 1666 he leased the castle to Walter Athy. Mary, Walter's daughter married secondly Walter Blake of Drumacrina County Mayo, and her descendants by that marriage, held Oranmore until 1853, when the estates of Walter Blake were sold to the Encumbered Estates Court.

The Blake family built the house against the south side of the castle. This house was left in ruins when the Blake family left Oranmore and the castle was unroofed until 1947 when it was bought by Lady Leslie, a cousin of Churchill and wife of Sir Shane Leslie the writer.

Lady Leslie re-roofed the castle and gave it to her daughter, Mrs Leslie King who is also well known as a writer under the name of Anita Leslie. Between 1950 and 1960, Mrs Leslie King and her husband, Cmdr Bill King (also a writer who sailed solo around the world in 1933) added a two storey wing joined to the castle by a single storey range. The castle is now occupied by Leonie King, daughter of Anita Leslie and Bill King, and her husband Alec Finn of De Danaan.

 

 
See more Castles in County Galway
 

 

 
Towns & Localities in County Galway

 Aran Islands | Athenry | Ballinasloe | Ballygar | Barna | Carna | Carraroe | Claregalway | Clarinbridge | Clifden | Clonbur | Corofin
Connemara | Corrandulla | Dunmore | Galway City | Glenamaddy | Gort | Headford | Kinvara | Leenane | Loughrea | Milltown | Monivea
 Mountbellew | Moycullen | Oranmore | Oughterard | Portumna | Renvyle | Salthill | Spiddal | Tuam | Turloughmore | Williamstown
 

home | towns | accommodation | B&B | hotels | self catering | arts | attractions | business | education | wap
employment | entertainment | festivals | genealogy | heritage | industry | leisure | links | maps | news | gallery
 political | property | restaurants | shopping | sporting | tourism | travel | weather | what's on | advertise | contact

Website designed by Western-Webs, Tuam County Galway Ireland 

©2007 County Galway Guide, all rights reserved